Custom Walls

Post your discussions and questions about PlusSpec here.

Moderator: Daniel

Custom Walls

Postby Archiserv » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:58 pm

I'm using the EPS on Framing wall type but need an additional component in the assembly. For wind and seismic in my area (Alaska) I need a layer of 1/2" structural wood panel between the framing and the EPS. Is there a way to add this and still have the walls work for window and door insertion. On my first attempt, I drilled down into the wall assembly and moved the EPS out 1/2" then grabbed some floor sheathing off a floor assembly, stood it on edge and put it in the space. This solution just created a lot of other issues with layers, layout views, window insertion, etc. Any other ideas about how I can get this type of wall in my project and stay with BIM and material takeoffs?
Archiserv

Re: Custom Walls

Postby Drew » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:09 pm

Hi Archiserv,

In our upcoming releases we will be vastly improving and releasing composite wall types. In the meantime, you can create a custom material, but also include the thickness of the layer of 1/2" structural wood panel. This means that you will have the finish material thickness, plus the structural wood panel thickness. You will not be able to visually separate/distinguish the layers - but the overall thickness will be correct - and everything will remain parametric. When you do a 2D/3D detail/section - you simply need to add the required lines to indicate the different materials. You will have to manually pick it up in your take-off though.

The other way to do it, is to create a wall that is the thickness of the frame, plus the structural wood panel. You then need to create a wall finish material in your wall tool, and then put on the final EPS layer. However, this will not be linked to the parametric wall - and you will have to cut the windows out. It can be more easily picked up in your take-off though.

The composite wall features that we will be releasing progressively over the coming months will eventually solve this issue though.
Drew

Return to General Discussion and Questions