Wallbatten

Can anyone help me with my walls?

I am unable to create the most common type of walls here in Sweden. I hope im just missing something.

Sometimes i use two types of batten external. Often i use 1 horizontal batten internal. How am i suppose to create these walls?

/Petter
VS11.jpg
VS11(2).jpg

Hi Peter, are you using PlusSpec or PlusDesignBuild?
The reason I ask is; you would simply increase the material size to accommodate for the multiple skins of internal and external linings so your 2D documentation is a correct ( you could also add a cross-section hatch as you would in Revit by right-clicking a section plane and selecting "+section hatch, you can create a custom section hatch texture ) . OR… Are you detail drawing every aspect of the wall for 3D production drawings or factory offsite wall modules? or do you simply want the extra layers because that is physically how the project is created?

I would use the wall tool multiple times & create the internal wall with a batten layer first I would then copy and paste/change the wall type to create a vignette. There is a video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=061ZZvhDQFw

If you are using PlusDesignBuild I’d recommend using the recipes.

I’ll get Andrew to create a video on how to do it once I know the desired result. Adding geometry for geometry’s sake is not a sound solution as you’ll simply overload Sketchup and slow your workflow. Creating a vignette of the wall type and creating the walls at the correct thickness for documentation is probably the best result.

Peter, I do know PlusDesignBuild is coming out with a new version very soon, I have spoken to the development team and we are looking into this wall type, so it should be in the next major release.
Peter, I have one question. What is the material outside of the frame inside of the batten on the external side? I assume it is solid insulation? It would be great if you could label the cross-section.
Double battened light weight frame wall in PlusSpec and PlusDesignBuild BIM for Sketchup Plugin.jpg
Oh, and I just thought of another way to do this:

1. Draw the external wall using the “lightweight wall” option yet choose the internal wall lining as teh material between teh batten and external wall ( you may need to create that material using the create material button). Add windows and doors, when you draw the wall justify the draw point from the internal by pushing the right arrow on your keyboard.
  2. Right click> go to wall > edit walls> select connected walls> copy the selected walls.
  3. Use the Sketchup command Edit> Paste in Place command
  4. As soon as the walls paste/replicate and while the walls are still selected go to the wall tool and edit the walls> before clicking submit:
    A) choose the “single masonry wall with cladding” wall type from the drop-down
    B) Choose none for the masonry wall
    C) choose your internal lining type
    D) Click submit

You will notice the secondary wall now justifies the inside of the external wall and all windows and doors are cut. You will need to use the window and door tool on the internal wall to change the window and door type to none. It sounds complicated but it is actually a 2-minute job. We will create this wall type as default to make it easier though.
Thanks for pointing out this new wall type Peter, our team and I are working hard to improve PlusSpec and PlusDesignBuild for Europe and its construction methods.

Thank you for your answer :slight_smile:

The new wall-tool looks promising, to bad its just for designbuild :wink:

Yes its an insulationa/windstopper- sheet.

From the outside.
Timber Cladding (batten sized) 22
Timber Cladding 22
Batten 34
Insulation 50
Stud 145
Plastic
Batten 45
OSB
Drywall

When is the next major relese? When can i expect the new walltool?

The tools are in beta testing at the moment yet we will be referencing this post for development, so we really appreciate your feedback. This wall type will make PlusSpec Pro Europe as well, I can’t give you a date as yet.

HI Emily,

Thanks for the response to this. Any chance you could do a video of that process? It would be super helpful to see how the two wall types come together?

thanks