ICF wall

Find and post help & suggestions for the Wall Tools.

Moderator: Daniel

ICF wall

Postby pcashcroft » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:26 am

I'm trying to draw an ICF (Insulating Concrete Form) wall. What would be the best way of doing that?
structure I'm looking for is from internal to external: plasterboard -> polystyrene (insulation) -> concrete -> polystyrene (insulation) -> Brick ties -> Brick
Thanks
pcashcroft

Re: ICF wall

Postby Grant » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:32 pm

Hi pcashcroft,

Thank you for your post.

There currently isn't a wall type that will achieve this but I've passed it onto the development team for further discussion. However, there is a work-around that can be done which the steps for have been explained below.

1) Use the Solid Wall wall type as a base for the wall.
2) Use the Wall Surface Tool to create the external polystyrene & brick skins (materials will need to be created).
3) Use the Wall Surface Tool to create the plasterboard & internal polystyrene skins (materials will need to be created).

Please note that window & door openings will need to be added to the the wall surface skins. Also, if it's needed, using the Recess Window field will help align the windows in the wall.

Would you be able to please let me know if these work for you?
Kind Regards,
Grant
Grant
Site Admin

Postby pcashcroft » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:54 pm

Hello. That worked. Not ideal having to draw the voids, but it's a good enough workaround. Thank you.
Sure it's feedback you've had from several people, but the ability to do bespoke walls with any number of layers and the ability to choose what specific layer the part of the wall is assigned to would be extremely helpful. I understand it's probably a big ask, but it would make a huge difference.
Thanks, Paul
pcashcroft

Postby Grant » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:39 pm

Hi Paul,

I'm glad to hear it worked for you.

We are looking at doing something with walls in the future but there's not an ETA on when this will be. It's a huge task so when we do it we want to make sure we get it right so it meets the requirements of our users.

If you have any other enquiries, I'm more than happy to assist.
Kind Regards,
Grant
Grant
Site Admin

Postby wallplus » Sat May 08, 2021 6:42 pm

Grant,

same question here, the above workaround helps, but impossible to combine with framing and batten.
please make multiskin walls, with a possibillity to change each layer and in combination with framing possible.
I am shure that there are a lot of user that work with wood framing or stick frame building, are looking for a solution that makes it possible to make a fully customized wall.

regards
guy
WALL+
belgium
wallplus

Postby Emily » Fri May 28, 2021 3:22 pm

This can be done in the latest version
Emily
PlusSpec Developer

Return to Wall Tools