improting pdf drawing

Welcome! Ask and get answered - or just introduce yourself.

Moderator: Daniel

Re: improting pdf drawing

Postby michaelm » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:55 am

Great topic and of interest to us as a general contractor wanting to use PlusSpec for QTO (quantity take off). Converting PDF to TIFF or JPG does not work for QTO as we "trace drawings clicking on line snap points". Redrawing over the project by entering line coordinates or dimensions isn't an option for our QTO needs (man-hrs).

We tried INKSCAPE which worked good on 1 sheet AFTER it was sized to fit the page in Inkscape but with 200+ pages in most all of our sets it wouldn't work for our needs doing this sheet by sheet. Apparently in REVIT there is an "export to .dxf" option making this conversion easy and not time consuming for the architect, but does AutoCAD have the same function? If not it would be impractical on large files for anyone to save each sheet 2ce.

Please advise if you know of a solution we are not aware of.

Thanks,
Michael M
michaelm

Postby Drew » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi Michaelm,

All CAD software (that I am aware of) allow drawings to be saved in dwg or dxf format. Rather than trying to manipulate or convert PDFs into line work, I would suggest that you request the Architect or Designer to provide you with dwg/dxf formats along with PDFs for your quotation.

If you cannot have the source of the drawings convert them into these formats (dwg/dxf) for you, then you are stuck with PDFs - and there is no super quick way to convert these into line work (such as INKSCAPE) en-masse, that I am aware of.

I hope this helps.
Drew

Postby michaelm » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:07 am

Drew, I was asleep at the wheel and had forgotten about the dwg/dxf as I realized that SUP works with dwg the issue pretty much clears up ... thanks
michaelm

Re: importing pdf drawing

Postby Andrew » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:09 am

Guys, I always used a screen capture program to import my PDFs into Sketchup on Windows (Mac does it out of the Box). I had a large set of PDFs that would have taken too long to do individually so I did some research and came across this program http://www.pdfjpg.com/register.html It does cost $30 USD however it works fine and does multiple PDFs and adds them into their own folder. You can use it for free by clicking "Start Converting Now", it will open up a buy page which you can simply close, you will notice that the files will be created in a folder which automatically opens. You can then drag and drop the files straight into PlusSpec or use file import. Note, if you want higher resolution image input, go to teh Sketchup Window menu, Select preferences, Open GL and tick "Use maximum texture size"
Note each image you import will add file size. In my use case I found, each image was under 2 meg, If i imported all, i would have a 10 meg file before I draw a line, so you should really only import what you need. You can also delete these images and purge the model once you are finished with them.

I also have at tip that may help a lot of people who always works from A3 drawings.
Basically I set up a template that has an A3 sheet outlined and dimensioned at 1:1 scale. This could be used to screen captured and printed to scale before going to layout. I would use this type of template for many things including tracing over a drawing that has been produced in A3 so I can quickly draw it in PlusSpec. The benefit is the imported PDF screen shot will be very close to scale. I'd always use the :selection-scale: to double check.
Here is the download, I hope it helps.
A3 TEMPLATE PLUSSPEC.skp
This is a Sketchup 16 template for importing a3 drawings in Plan view.
(168.8 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

Importing A3 PDFs to Scale in Sketchup.png
Here is a screen shot of the template.
Importing A3 PDFs to Scale in Sketchup.png (227.41 KiB) Viewed 2696 times
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:22 pm

Guys this is an old threadand it has not been answered correctly. I hope this helps to get a clear PDF import to trace or draw over in Sketchup.

First the tape measure icon :selection-scale: then select PDF import icon and a menu will appear, before you press import you need to select the import quality in the drop down menu.
See the following image (NOTE step 3 must be done before importing):
How to Import PDF into Sketchup via PlusSpec so it is clear.png
PDF import directions inside PlusSpec tools for Sketchup
How to Import PDF into Sketchup via PlusSpec so it is clear.png (75.27 KiB) Viewed 478 times

If you still have trouble go to the "Window" menu inside Sketchup select "preferences" scroll down to "open GL" and then select maximum texture size SEE IMAGE:
maximum texture size inside Sketchup for PDF import via PlusSpec.png
maximum texture size inside Sketchup for PDF import via PlusSpec.png (37.27 KiB) Viewed 478 times
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:33 pm

I made this video for importing PDF into Sketchup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbzHAmT_3mk
Andrew

Previous

Return to New Users