improting pdf drawing

Welcome! Ask and get answered - or just introduce yourself.

Moderator: Daniel

improting pdf drawing

Postby purecarp » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi I am snipping pdf drawings & importing them but they seem blurry and then when I scale the drawings and then go to trace up the layout of walls nothing matches up I have also typed up the measurements off plans would like assistance
purecarp

Re: improting pdf drawing

Postby Andrew » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:58 pm

The best way to import drawings is to take the largest screen shot of the drawing. I use FastStone capture and i only capture the info that I need, EG I try and get the largest dimension in the screen shot and the plan. If you know the person that created the drawing get them to export as an image instead of a PDF. there are also programs that allow you to break the PDF document and export it as a JPG. I do not use them as I find the screen shot to work ok.

I am guessing that you are trying to create cut lengths or re produce a plan for submission? If you are simply doing a feaso then you probably do not need to be exact, simply trace outside the line. Better to allow more than less. :-)

If you can attach the plan that you are trying to capture I will see what I can do for you in a tutorial.
Andrew

Postby Dean » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

Please check out the link below. This was suggested by a user and it has been found very effective. Matt Donley has posted on SketchUcation a procedure that will allow you to import PDF's. This is a great way to import clear plans.

http://sketchucation.com/resources/tuto ... conversion

This process uses Inkscape, Inkscape is a free program that allows you to 'Save As' DXF File. Below is a direct link to the download page of there site.

https://inkscape.org/en/download/

Enjoy!
Kind Regards
Dean
Dean
PlusSpec Developer

Postby Drew » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:30 pm

This is an amazing free program, which will allow you to turn your PDFs into lines, so that you can scale and then trace plans, with 100% accuracy.

Love it!
Drew

Postby SamLanglar » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi Guys, I am in the process of my first construction drawing on PlusSpec.

I want to place the survey drawing under my drawing for reference and have it stay in my drawing for all its information. I have used this Inkscape (which is great by the way) BUT and a big BUT I am finding you cant import the text of this file into sketchup :? This is not good, and when I use snipping tool it is too blurry for a construction drawing. I even tried to bring it in in Layout but still no good.

Can I ask does this FastStone capture give a crisper snap shot? or do you know of another way I can get the text from the survey in my final drawings

Cheers Sam :D
Cheers Sam
(Windows 8.1/ Sketchup Pro2015/ PlusSPec v16.3.7)
SamLanglar

Postby Kenny » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:37 pm

This may be down to the issues SketchUp has with importing text. See this post discussing the problem.

http://forums.sketchup.com/t/text-is-mi ... iles/10174

If the text is visible in the DXF file then you could try importing the DXF into Doublecad first

http://www.doublecad.com/DoubleCAD/DoubleCAD-XT-v5

This free cad software allows text to be exploded in DWG/DXF files which will then allow it to be displayed after importing into SketchUp (see settings in the above thread). Alternatively you could try installing TIG's 'Import DXF Text' plugin also discussed in the above forum thread.
Kenny

Postby SamLanglar » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:35 am

thank you Kenny, I'll take a look. Big disadvantage of Sketchup, I feel its a lot of mucking about to see the text which is something so so necessary!!
Thanks again, I'll let you know how I go
Sam
Cheers Sam
SamLanglar

Postby Dean » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:11 pm

Hi Guys,

Thank you Kenny for helping out, great answer.

How did you go with this Sam?

Kind Regards
Dean
Dean
PlusSpec Developer

Postby SamLanglar » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:32 am

Ive put it in the too hard basket right now Dean, Im concentrating on drawing the plans then I'll look at importing the survey drawing text, but I'll let you know when I do :)
Cheers Sam
SamLanglar

Postby Dean » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:13 am

That is fine, it is not the easiest task for a new SketchUp user.

Kind Regards
Dean
Dean
PlusSpec Developer

Next

Return to New Users