Auto Save

Big lesson just learned, I was drawing trying to change window frame colour to bronze, as I changed the next window the first one would go back to silver…I tried this a few times? Anyway, Sketch up crashed and I had not saved (Revit prompts you to save, Autocad has auto save)… is there any auto save with this program :frowning:

I’ve had a similar problem with editing windows.
However mine does not crash, the iMac pinwheel spins but won’t stop spinning till I ‘Force Quit’ Sketchup.

Cheers Matt

Hi,

Click Windows, then select Preferences. Then left click on General. You can choose to create a backup and to autosave (and how often to autosave).

=)

Thank you Drew, I did what you said right away and it seems I already have autosave on for every 5 mins. Could you tell me if there is a default place it goes to or do I need to do an initial save before it will start this please? I am using Mac.
Cheers
Sam

Hi SamLanglar,

By default, SketchUp automatically saves your files every five minutes while you’re actively working. If, for example, you’re working on a file named MyDrawing.skp, the automatic save creates a file named AutoSave_MyDrawing.skp. The auto-save file is different from the backup file (so while you’re working on a model, you can have three files: the original .skp file, the backup file, and the auto-save file).

The auto-save file is kept until you successfully save your original file. If SketchUp crashes while you’re working on a model the auto-save file is not deleted. You can recover your work from the point the last auto-save was performed. If you’ve never saved your work the auto-save file is stored in a default location specified below:

PC. The file is saved in your “My Documents” folder.
Mac. The file is saved in your user folder › “Library” › “Application Support” › “SketchUp #” › “SketchUp” > “Autosave.”
After saving your SketchUp work, the auto-save file will be created in the same location as the original file.