Curious..

HI,
I have been looking into Plus spec, I like its potential and have researching a few of the posts written here in this forum. Like many, I have been trained to use Revit here in the States. I have serious interests with purchasing this program, However, before I commit to purchasing this program, I have several questions as I am curious about a few items:
1.) How would go about setting up the Construction Documentation plot sheets?
2.) Would I be able to set-up schedules and legends based from the data of my model? ie, door, window schedules, schedule customizations, etc.
3.) In Revit, we can use our model to extract building details and it would parametrically revise once we modified our model, does Plus Spec have this capability?
4.) How do we go about tagging rooms?
5.) i’m assuming that Plus Spec can do elevations and sections, will we be able to put these into the Plot Sheets?
6.) I use a separate rendering program for my rendering, will I be able to link the rendering to my sheets?
7.) I see there is compatibility to Revit to some degree, If I cannot find a component for sketchup but can work on the family in Revit, will I be able to export the family into Plus Spec and keep the dynamic nature of the family?
8.) If there is a documentation aspect to this program, are dimensions be able to lock in so that if the dimensions of the buildings change, it will be reflected on our sheets?

I understand the concept that Plus spec is easier to use when it comes to modeling, and while it appears true, at the end of the day as a Revit user, the models I’ve built is made, despite the archaic and complicated processes and the time that goes into it. In the real world, these models are done so we can simplify (the ironic part) our Documentation to get our projects built. Can I expect this from Plus Spec? Thanks for your time.

Hi Alex, please see below for the responses. Although you can model in PlusSpec and then use other programs to create your 2D drawings (exporting the lines/IFC, etc), we highly recommend that you use SketchUp Layout - as it will maintain the parametric connection between 2D and 3D.

1.) How would go about setting up the Construction Documentation plot sheets?

This is very simple. PlusSpec allows you to easily set up and create scenes/sheets (Plans, elevations, sections, etc). If you use Layout for your 2D drawings, any changes that you make to the model will be automatically modified in Layout.

2.) Would I be able to set-up schedules and legends based from the data of my model? ie, door, window schedules, schedule customizations, etc.

PlusSpec does allow you to easily access all of the information/data from your model and then copy and paste into Layout (or your other software that you want to use for 2D output). You can easily set up scrapbooks/templates in Layout. In future PlusSpec updates, we envisage that this process will be automated.

3.) In Revit, we can use our model to extract building details and it would parametrically revise once we modified our model, does Plus Spec have this capability?

If you use SketchUp Layout, any modifications to your model (3D) will be automatically revised in Layout (2D). Unlike Revit, and other traditional ‘autodesk’ software, we recommend that you spend more time in your model, and less time in your sheets. You can create amazing documentation sets - and create unparalleled 3D details. 3D details is in our opinion, the future of detailing. See attached.

4.) How do we go about tagging rooms?

You can tag rooms by Generating a Space with the slab tool. We are in the process of creating a video tutorial on this. The room tag feature will be further refined in future updates.

5.) i’m assuming that Plus Spec can do elevations and sections, will we be able to put these into the Plot Sheets?

Yes. You simply drag and drop your model into Layout. You can then choose what view/scenes you want to show, and to what scale. You can even adjust the model inside of Layout. If you want to use another software for your 2D output, you can export your scenes/sheets as lines, or IFC.

6.) I use a separate rendering program for my rendering, will I be able to link the rendering to my sheets?

You are able to add any images to Layout. You can also insert images inside of PlusSpec, and scale them accurately using the PlusSpec scale tool.

7.) I see there is compatibility to Revit to some degree, If I cannot find a component for sketchup but can work on the family in Revit, will I be able to export the family into Plus Spec and keep the dynamic nature of the family?

You can use Revit families inside of PlusSpec. However, in most circumstances you will not be able to keep the dynamic nature of the family.

8.) If there is a documentation aspect to this program, are dimensions be able to lock in so that if the dimensions of the buildings change, it will be reflected on our sheets?

Yes, Layout allows you to do this.

9.) I understand the concept that Plus spec is easier to use when it comes to modeling, and while it appears true, at the end of the day as a Revit user, the models I’ve built is made, despite the archaic and complicated processes and the time that goes into it. In the real world, these models are done so we can simplify (the ironic part) our Documentation to get our projects built. Can I expect this from Plus Spec? Thanks for your time.

At PlusSpec, we truly believe that the ultimate sophistication is ‘Simple’. With very minimal training, we believe that PlusSpec will revolutionize your workflow. You have obviously seen what PlusSpec can do. I would recommend taking a look at Layout, for the 2D documentation side of things. Take a look at this tutorial: youtube.com/watch?v=Z3xUOAicq-Y

Regards,
Drew

Sample Detail Page with PlusSpec and Layout
PlusSpec sample detail page.png

Thank you very much for your time answering my questions. As I normally do my work on either Revit or Autocad, I find it truly a wonder that some one like you guys have finally made this jump to the sketchup platform. I am a Project Designer and I do most of my work on the design side, I have moved away from 3D max and Maya so I use Sketchup quite extensively. There are some realities and that is that we don’t just there and design for the heck of it, Documentation is the reality. With that said, Since I use Autodesk products, I have not yet utilized the layout portion of the Sketch up program nor do I know its capabilities. You should market the documentation side of your program because the questions I had asked are basically the essential core of BIM. It’s all about the workflow, what Revit doesn’t get is that while they got documentation aspect down, they ignored the design aspect. Modeling in Revit is cumbersome, the program is layered and stacked so heavily that you have to put a lot of $$ into the hardware. I like Plus Spec’s direction, I think it will only get better. Also, If you can navigate me to a page that shows more of the Construction Documentation samples, tutorials and such, it would really be helpful.
Several more questions: Revit uses a permission system for your team to work on certain aspect of the model, in the past we were able to copy our own model on the desktop and the changes made can be saved to “central”. Does Plus Spec have any teamwork aspect? Will the model lock when Consultants such as Structural, HVAC so they can do their parts without compromising the model. In addition, when modeling in an existing building, we often need to do a demolition documentation. Does Plus Spec have this capability?
I used to work for corporate Architecture firms, I walked away from that scene to do things on my own; however, from time to time, they hire us to partner up to chase after big projects. I guess the point I am trying to make is, when I do this, I do have to take my lap top to their office and work on the model with their staff, when they are comfortable with the progress, I then have to bring it back to my office and we work on our desktop. I have read, that in order for me to do this I would need to acquire two licenses which doubles my price for a single user. Is this still true?
Thank you for your time. My time to consider purchasing would be after our fiscal year end, which is July…I like to do my due diligence before I make any investments into other programs especially considering all the other programs that I need to use and Plus Spec being on a subscription basis- you can imagine how quickly everything adds up!

Hi Alexis,

Thank you for your kind words. I agree with you regarding Revit, and other traditional ‘Autodesk’ BIM software. We like to think that PlusSpec for SketchUp is an evolution of BIM - being VDC (Virtual Design Construction).

PlusSpec does not have a permission system like that of Revit or ArchiCad. However, you can save a master file, and easily have several team members working on one Project at one time. There are techniques to perfect this system, and we will be releasing a video tutorial on this in the near future. You can lock your model so that you can send it to your Consultants, without having them compromise your model. You can also have them work on specific layers, so that you can easily transfer their work from a shared file, into your master file. There are many strategies available to allow you to achieve this.

We are working on construction documentation samples and tutorials, but will not be released for a while. In the meantime, there are many tutorials about Layout on YouTube. Nick Sonders videos are definitely worth watching. Although Revit and other software (which are more focused on documentation) have very nice documentation tools, I still find it somewhat limiting or inflexible. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised with Layout, and the freedom it offers. You can literally customize everything to suit your own style. The workflow/environment is slightly different to what you would be used to with other software, but you would be surprised at how quickly you would be able to master it.

If you need two machines, you would need two licences.

Awesome thanks!
I have some more questions:
1.) Can I make a model from Plus Spec and then use it as my central model in Revit? and vice versa? Will all the information/data be able to translate between the two programs? Or will it come in as a dummy model? I was thinking I can convert my model to REVIT to hand over to my structural engineer and MEP, they would then design and build their stuff in the model, send back to me, I can convert it back to Sketchup and update my model with all their information. My engineers use Revit and most aren’t willing to convert to Plus Spec.
2.) How much is the license in US$
Thanks!

Hi Alexis,

1. Although IFC works well in storing information, and you can import it into Revit - you will lose all parametric ability. Although I do not recommend this architecturally (you may as well just stay in SketchUp & Layout), you can use this technique for MEP/structural engineer. You can have them work in Revit, and then insert their information into your master PlusSpec/SketchUp model (and create/assign it to relevant layers).

2. This is subject to fluctuations between the US dollar and the Australian dollar, but currently AUD$990 is approximately $750 US dollars.