Roof Dormer Help

Hi Everyone,

Could you help me out please. I have attached an image of a house I have completed using sketchup. There are a few dormers in it but these dormers were a nightmare to do. Took me hours. Also if the client wants the dormers moved the roof is a mess underneath. I have tried to do this in plusspec but have not managed it so far. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance

John
front view 1.jpg

Hi John,

Thank you for your post.
What I would recommend to do is to draw some raised boxes on the face you use to create a hip roof using the Hip Roof Tool :roof-tool3: (the image below shows this) then select each top faces (numbered in the image below) and create the roof. Then use the Edit Roof Pitch/Gable Tool :roof-pitch-tool: to adjust the dormers and hip roof to have the gable ends. If you then need to move a dormer, delete the roof then move the whole box (top and sides as well) that was used to create the dormer to the desired position. This will be the quickest way for you to create, edit and move the dormers.

Dormer Roofs.jpg

You could also use the PlusSpec Dormer Tool but I believe the above method will be quicker and easier for the job you’re trying to do.

Would you be able to please let me know if this fixes the issue you’re having?

Hi Grant,

That worked perfectly. You are after making my life a lot easier, thanks! This software is amazing

Hi John,

I’m happy to hear that this has fixed your issue and improved your workflow.

Thank you for the kind words, we’re always happy to help. :slight_smile:

Thanks again Grant. Is it possible to have define the dormer roofs with a different pitch than the main roof?

Regards

John

Grant,

Don’t worry about that. I figured it out. Thanks again

Actually Grant, I don’t have it figured out :slight_smile: Any ideas?

I tried using the ‘edit roof pitch’ tool. This didn’t work. The main roof pitch is 25 degrees and the dormers are 25 degrees. When I use the ‘edit roof pitch’ to change the dormers, it allows me to change one side to 39 degrees but not the other side?

Hi John,

There appears to be an error in the Hip Roof Tool. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I will pass it onto the development team to look into further. I apologise for any inconvenience.

There is one other things I would recommend to do is to use our Dormer Tool. This tool should also work to get the result you’re after however they cannot currently be moved after they are placed/added to the roof. If you right-click on the roof and select ‘+ ROOF > Add Dormer’ then draw the dormer on the roof (you should be able to trace the top of the walls that are protruding) you will then have the ability to change the pitch on either side of the dormer.

Would you be able to please let me know if this works for you?