3d details

how do you get 2 section cuts to be active at the same time - to create 3d models? eg: indoor corners of rooms/buildings

cheers karite

Hi karite,

Thank you for your post.

Normally with SketchUp you can only have one active section cut at a time, however to have multiple active section cuts you need to put each section inside of a different group (i.e. for the indoor corner put one section cut inside of one wall then put another in the second wall).

Would you be able to please let me know if this works for you?

thanx grant, it does not work for me. your explanation seems ok to me, but when i try to do it, i’m just getting 2 independent sections.
is there a tutorial on this? OR
is it possible to put it into steps for me?

cheers garry

Hi Garry,

There isn’t a tutorial on how to do this but the steps below should explain how to do it.

After the model has been drawn;

1. Place the first section plane (the one that will affect the whole model) in your model.
  2. Group the items/objects in the area you need to place the second section in either a group or component (whichever you prefer).
  3. Place the another section plane inside of this group/component and move it into position. This section will only affect things inside of the group it’s in.
  4. Repeats steps 2 & 3 for as many sections as you need.

I’ve also attached an example model which should help explain it more.

Would you be able to please let me know if this help you out?
Multiple Sections Example.skp (395 KB)