Door edit tool lagging

HI There,

I’m finding that when I’ve edited a door (or window I assume, haven’t got to many yet) it all grinds to a very slow lag. Is there a reason for this. It usually catches up, but is costing way too much time to be practical. Is there something I’m not seeing?

Thanks,

Dawson

Hi Dawson,

Thank you for your post.

This is normally due to the ‘Outliner’ in SketchUp being open as it constantly is reading and displaying all components and groups in the model. If you close this tool it should fix the issue you’re having.

Would you be able to please let me know if this fixes the issue you’re having?

Hi There,

I haven’t been at it much these days, but I rarely have the outliner open. What else could cause this? I feel like it’s connected to the BETA window/door edit tool. costly when it has to be used with every change to windows and doors…

Dawson

Hi Dawson,

Another reason you may encounter a bit of lag is that the more windows and doors you have in one wall the longer it will take to edit/redraw the wall or anything inside it. Do you find the issue occurs on every wall or mainly on walls with higher numbers of windows and/or door in them?

If this isn’t the case would you be able to send a screenshot of SketchUp when you first open a new model?

Hi Grant,
No I don’t think it;s related to lots of doors or windows. I will grab a screen shot soon. I have been working on roofs…see my next post…

Later,

Dawson

Hi There,

Here are some screen shots. The first is just as I started a simple building. the second is during some lag while editing the 1 window. Does this clarify anything? I do have another small plugin for drawing buildings that isn’t showing it’s menu in these shots. It is the one that is working for me right now though so I am reluctant to remove it completely to check if that’s the problem…

Thanks,

Dawson
Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 12.17.27 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 12.19.02 PM.jpg

Hi Dawson,

The average time to make changes to windows and doors varies, depending on computers, what is open, etc. However, it is standard to have a 3-5 second load time. I will pass the lag issue onto the development team for further discussion.

If you would like to see if it is the plugin you mentioned you can enable/disable plugins in either the Extensions section or Extensions Manager (depending on the SketchUp version you have). Disabling the plugin will have the same affect as deleting the plugin so you will be able to see if this is the reason behind your lag issue.

Would you be able to please let me know how you go with this, if you decide to do it?

Hi Grant, I did indeed disable the other plugin and there was no difference. I can usually clear it up for a bit by restarting, but it starts again before long. It is taking way longer than 3-5 seconds, and usually stems from adjusting a door or window. This needs to be resolved, it is costing too much time!

Thanks,

Dawson

Hi Dawson,

The other thing that it might be is with your computers software and specifications.

Would you be able to please send me the OS version and system specifications of your computer to either here on the Forum or to support@rubysketch.com? If you’re not sure how to do this, the link below will explain how you can check it.

https://wiki.csuchico.edu/confluence/display/help/How+to+Check+Your+OS+Version+(Mac)

HI there, me again.

I have been working away at figuring this all out, and in lots of ways it’s been great. I do still however, have this window editing lag issue. It will edit 1 window or door seemingly fine, but then the next time I try to get the edit window open it more or less seizes. The rest of the motion gets choppy too. I am now running Sierra, and Sketchup Make 2017 (until I know it fixes the problem, then I’ll purchase). Plus Spec and a TimberFrame (post and beam) plugin are the only addons I’ve got installed. Is the 2017 version coming out soon? Is there something different that might address this?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Dawson

HI again,

Further to my last reply: I had been lead to believe that I could use Sketchup make 2017 and back save to 2015 for layout. That wasn’t working (reliably, it did work in some cases) so I went ahead and bought 2017. Before I get to Layout though I need to finish my model. This window editing business is really too frustrating! Like I said, I can load the model, it navigates fine, and I can model easily. but when I go to edit a door or window (and possibly a wall, even) it will do one, but then things seize up after that. Even the entity info is locked up, it won’t update as I change objects. I have to restart after every window/door edit. That’s ridiculous isn’t it?

It seems like there must be something to make this easy.

Dawson

Hi Dawson,

PlusSpec 17 was released a few days ago. Would you be able to please let me know if the window lag you’re experiencing has been improved or fixed?

Make sure you have Outliner turned off. It is a Sketchup killer. I have one old computer that was a real dog ($400 special with 4 gig ram), it did not like anything I did if wiped it and now it is a beauty. The only other thing I can think might be slowing you down is if you have other plugins running at the same time? Try disabling other plugins in extension manager. BTW you really should be using Sketchup 17 it eats Skethcup 16 and 15 for breakfast, :slight_smile:
I hope it helps.

Hi Guys,

I was excited to get the new version, and am working my way through the new bits. I do also have the latest 2017 Sketchup as I got caught up in the “use Make and back save for layout” which didn’t work reliably. I never have outliner open. The only non-SketchUp plugin I have is for timber framing (post and beam) which I just tried disabling, and it hasn’t made a difference. Nor has the new PlusSpec apparently.

I can only edit one window or door before it seizes and won’t let me edit any more. Other things work, but I can see in my Entity info, which doesn’t respond, that things have seized up. This seems to be the only thing that does this. I did actually get it to do it editing a component (I think? I can’t recall exactly) also.

To do with 2017: What has happened to the edit window parameters that define things like side lights/transoms, etc.?

Looking forward to the new version!

Dawson

Aaaand correction: It does seem better with the timber frame extension disabled. I do use that one though. I guess I can use it separately though right? Are you guys familiar with that one? TF Extensions by Clarke Bremer. Useful for timberframe designer/builders such as myself. Simple, cheap(free? I think so). Can you see what would be causing a conflict?

It was editing a Handrail that seems to be causing some issue, as I have run into that again.

Anyways, onwards! Thanks again,

Dawson

A new day, back to the same. The extension is still disabled, but I am back to not being able to edit more than one window. I also am not getting the other options for the doors/windows, I am instead getting component options. What could be changing? I got the new update, but that can’t be the issue, surely. Frustrating!

Dawson

Hi there, just updating: the new release 17.2.0 seems to have straightened out those few things. I’ll give it a real go next week to see for sure. Keep it up! :slight_smile:

Dawson

Hi Dawson,

I’m happy to hear that the lagging has been improved.

Keep us posted on how you go.

Well hi there, Me once again. I haven’t been working at this for a week or more now. I have just started a little building: 14’x20" garage, 1 garage door, 1 exterior door, 1 window. After editing a door, it doesn’t allow further editing. The windows come up as if preparing for it, they say “loading…” and nothing happens. The entity info locks up and I have to restart. What else could be causing this? It seems strange that turning off some extensions seemed to help, then it’s back to how it was… Puzzling…

Thoughts?

Dawson

Here’s an update: I don’t know if it clarifies anything. When the dialogue boxes come up saying “loading…” and not going anywhere, if I click on a menu header (or presumably a tool) it brings up the dialogue. When the change takes it’s time to happen, I close the dialogue (after submitting doesn’t really do anything) and it seems to happen.

Does that seem to indicate anything to you?

Dawson