Adding Wall Types

Post your discussions and questions about PlusSpec here.

Moderator: Daniel

Adding Wall Types

Postby tdc » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi,

I am looking for some alternate wall types, specifically lightweight frame walls for pole homes, traditionally a frame with sacking and corrugated steel. Is this presently available in the Wall Tool ( have had a good look and can't find it ) or is this something that we can add in? The James Hardie product range would be of great use, colour bond etc.

Cheers,

Tony
tdc

Re: Adding Wall Types

Postby Andrew » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi Tony we plan on getting every manufacturer in Australia in the next 6 months, unfortunately this is in the hands of the manufacturer or the companies marketing persons ability to see the advantages. I personally receive 30 requests a week from users looking for more brand specific content. You could help us out by contacting the companies that you need and cc us in and I will organise one of our guys to chase it up for you. info@rubysketch.com
I cannot talk too much about what is coming in the next couple of releases but we have been working hard on making the specification process even easier and a lot more comprehensive. You may have read on the end of my posts that this is just the beginning. I actually mean this literally, we have some COOL features coming that are included in your purchase for the first 12 months.
I can talk about the hand rail tool and it is a beauty, expect to see it shortly!
I gather you are a builder? If so there are some strategies that you can use to help you sell jobs and charge for a quote. I can start another topic about this if you are interested.
Andrew

Postby tdc » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Thanks Andrew,

The upcoming features sound very exciting, look forward to them. I can understand that the library of materials is a great deal of work, and I will certainly contact suppliers for the relevant details. Do you have a pro-forma that we could use to aid us getting the best information for you?

Am flattered you think I am a builder, am actually a recording engineer. I am a future owner builder who is presently in the scoping and feasibility phase of design for our home, its a steep and difficult block and we have a limited budget so tools like Sketchup and now PlusSpec are wonderful in helping us save money by doing as much work and planning ourselves. I have experience in CAD and various trades so am taking to this part quickly. Being able to come up with design ideas, model them, and then get a ball park cost is fantastic!

The PlusSpec BIM Tool is a great stop gap, where I can make my own components and then assign a size, cost and other BIM metadata to it, then it shows up in the TakeOff.

Cheers
tdc

Postby Andrew » Fri May 16, 2014 10:21 am

Do you have a pro-forma that we could use to aid us getting the best information for you?

In 2 weeks we should have a full set up of materials for several countries. A list of what we need and a list of what is being requested.
:idea: TIP
Did you know you can write over the top of the take off data?
Yes this way you can write in exactly what you want as everyone has different terminology in every country.
Hope that helps.
If you can think of products that you would like to see in PlusSpec that we do not have feel free to post them here & or contact the office via email and we will do our best to get them for you.
Thanks for the reply.
Andrew

Postby tdc » Sat May 17, 2014 9:32 am

Andrew wrote:Did you know you can write over the top of the take off data?

Hi Andrew, do you mean in the browser version of the Take Off? Yes, can see this is possible, but that means terminology changes for regions need to be done each and every time a Take Off is done.

Perhaps a better way would be to allow users the ability to edit their material collection and layering methodology?
tdc

Postby Laurent » Mon May 19, 2014 4:02 pm

hello,
I agree with this essential function.
plusspec is a revolution for using Sketchup but today the app is developed based on brand products.
I think it lacks a parametric function for each designer to customize the following components constructive habits of his country.
could find generic and configurable materials, for example:
concrete blocks x cm
Interior/exterior insulation: x cm
wooden bearing structure: x cm

I think it is less difficult to develop this parametric function, than trying to get all the construction products for each continent?
I am European, and in its current version is unusable pluspec professionally.
it would be wonderful if I could build my own library of components. Other users have already done this request.
What is the position of Team plusspec on ​​this point?
Laurent

Postby Gabby64 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:20 pm

I too would love to be able to add user defined wall types.....
Gabby64

Postby StudioAware » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:08 pm

I agree. Customisation would make this plug-in unstoppable!

Regards,

dp
StudioAware

Postby Daniel » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Gabby64 wrote:I too would love to be able to add user defined wall types.....

This is coming Gabby64!

Could you all provide some more examples ?

Thanks

Dan
Daniel
PlusSpec Developer

Postby matt » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:43 am

Hi,

Great plug in, is it possible yet to generate individual wall construction details? I would love to be able to put this plug in into full use in my business (we design and build sustainable houses in modular volumetric form and have developed our own construction system for this). We use Fermacell as our internal wall lining and STEICOuniversal woodfibre sheathing board externally with a blown-in STEICOzell wood fibre insulation. Can I create these products myself in a library or do you require the manufacturers to provide you with the relevant information?

I can see that you are developing your product and there must be numerous fronts on which to develop, the existing function is great, but this would be a key strength from my perspective.

Thanks
matt

Next

Return to General Discussion and Questions